Friday, May 25, 2018

Battle of the Brands! Volume 1: Highlighters (Liquid)

Today we're talking about liquid and cream highlighters, my all-time favorite thing in the makeup world.

I've tried quite the bunch of liquid highlighters throughout my makeup wearing life and have quite a few thoughts on the matter. Some brands seem to just "get it" more than others. 

I'm going to talk about longevity and wear time, how well this product plays with other, opacity, texture, and pigmentation. It's going to be a long one.

I'll start with the liquid highlighters I still have in my collection. There are some that remain here because I can't return them, and others that are here because they're A M A Z I N G. I'll also include the honorable mentions of ones I've used in the past and no longer have because either 1) they were so bad they were returned immediately or 2) just weren't amazing enough to repurchase/were destashed (which doesn't mean they're bad, it just means they weren't so amazing that I looked no further for liquid highlighters).

For reference: when I talk longevity, that means I've worn it from the start of my day to the end. I get ready for work at around 7:45 a.m., and remove the face around 8:30 - 10 p.m. My days consist of sitting at a desk, running errands, and taking my dog to training or something like that (in case you were wondering what my face does during these hours and how hard of a ride this highlight is going on). My skin-type is oily, but I live for that boy-beat, cool-girl-glow look (also for reference).


Let us begin (going left to right):

Use this as a reference for what is to follow :)
From left to right: Wet n' Wild MegaGlo Hello Halo in Halo, Goodbye; Wet n' Wild MegaGlo Hello Halo in Guilded Glow; Ulta Collection Liquid Illuminator in Bright Lights; Soap and Glory Hocus Focus; MAC Strobe Cream in Peachlite; and L'Oreal Glotion in Medium.



Soap and Glory Hocus Focus | $15 for 1.0 oz. | 3.6/5
This was pretty neat but average. It's supposed to be a blurring, highlighting lotion. I took it to be a primer-ey type item, as it was described as something to blur pores, even skin tone and illuminate--sort of a dupe for MAC Strobe Cream (which is also here, but later).

Purchased from Ulta, and cost $15 for 1 oz., which I thought to be a little steep but really wanted to try it to compare to MAC Strobe Cream ($34 for 1.7 oz.).

The texture is much more liquidy than expected, so a thinner formula, and the color is a lighter, cool pink (which really isn't my most flattering color, but that doesn't matter for a review).

Longevity was good. It definitely didn't last all day until bedtime, but lasted for the work day(a solid 8-9 hours of wear). I don't think it really evened out my skin tone all too much more than any other liquid highlighter and I definitely do not think it blurred pores at all. All in all, this was an OK liquid highlighter. It plays well with other products, works fabulously as a mix-in item for foundation (because of its thinner consistency) and looks like a fine glow throughout the day. I think it's an average "dupe" for MAC Strobe Cream and a slightly above average highlighter. There's also no other color choices, that sucks.

TLDR: Highlights pretty well, does no other claim, lasts pretty long, only one shade.


MAC Fix+ Shimmer (shade Goldlite) | $26 for 3.4 oz. | 5.0/5.0
THIS IS EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED IN A HIGHLIGHTER AND A SPRAY. 
I was days away from throwing some gold pigment into a travel-size Fix+ spray and seeing what happens but then this came out so...? Yeah, it was a match made in heaven.

What is it? It's literally just MAC Fix+ (a cult classic finishing spray) with a gold shimmer. It's also available in Pinklite, but that's not my color (BUT IF IT'S YOURS: IT's probably AMAZING TOO).

This is amazing in every way shape or form. If you're having a very powdery day, this will bring your makeup to glowy-life. I am a huge fan of Fix+, and use it almost daily at the end of my makeup routine, just to bring everything together, get rid of any powder look and make everything look natural. If you strive to be as glowy as you possibly can, this is for you.

Longevity is great, color is perfect. It's perfect. That is all.


MAC Strobe Cream (shade Peachlite) | $34 for 1.7 oz. | 3.8/5.0
This is a GREAT highlighter for days that you want to have the most minimal makeup situation ever. Like, brows, single shadow, lashes, then this, maybe setting spray. It's so subtle, so it's not great under foundation (unlike it's dupey counterpart: Hocus Focus) (also doesn't mix well with it).

It's a thick, lotion that is the most subtle but natural glow. Really, it reminds me of the Glossier aesthetic: minimal makeup for already beautiful people. It's an amazing quality product.

BUT, I have a few issues with it. The first: it smells funny. I can't quite place my finger on it, but I don't love the scent. The second: it's so expensive ($34 for 1.7 oz). For what it is (boy-beat in a bottle) there are so many other options out there nowadays. Also, I LOVE the packaging but know it's one of those bottles that you'll never be able to squeeze all of the product out because of how hard the bottle is, so really it's more like 1.5 oz. (unless you cut it open, which I'm willing to do but that's annoying).

Lasts for most of the day, maybe just as long as Hocus Focus, but nothing outstanding.
Also, this is so not my color (Peachlite), but that's my own fault. I'm more of a Goldlite girl (olive undertones), so overall, it's just not for me, but there's no denying its a high-quality product if you're into that kind of product.

TLDR: High quality and perfect for boy-beat, cool-girl, Glossier aesthetic, but not much else.


Wet n' Wild MegaGlo Hello Halo (shades below) | $5.99 for 0.5 oz. | 4.5/5.0
These are FANTASTIC. They are liquid highlighters in a glass bottle, with a doe-foot applicator for only five dollars! They are an amazing quality with an amazing shade selection. I have two Halo, Goodbye (the light pink one) and Guilded Glow (the medium brown one). 

I use Guilded Glow almost daily, as the second to last step in my makeup routine. I take the TINIEST bit, dab it on my cheekbones and pat pat pat with my hand to blend it in. This little product packs the biggest punch. It's a very, VERY loud highlight (really, everything else here is more of a "highlight lotion-ey" product).

The longevity is incredible (goes all the way until bed-time, a solid 12+ hours), the texture is great, the price is amazing, really it's all good. The only drawback: sometimes, if blended out with too little product or after its dried a little too long, it blends out more glittery than natural-glowy. So yeah, there's a little bit of that going on here, but it's really not a problem that would stop me from repurchasing this, I want them all. Second drawback: I can already see myself breaking this glass bottle one day, but that's a personal problem I suppose.

TLDR: Amazing everything. Sometimes too glittery.


L'Oreal Glotion (shade Medium) | $14.99 for 1.35 oz. | 7.0/5.0
OK so I know I said the Fix+ Goldlite was the most amazing thing in the world, and it is, but this is somehow more amazing. This is so amazing that I actually tell everyone I know to buy this. I've told people at checkout in Ulta about its incredible-ness.

You may be wondering why and how. Let me tell you. 

FIRST: Its longevity absolutely is inspiring. When I say it's there all day, it's there ALL. DAY. I've never seen a liquid highlighter preform so well. 

SECOND: Its sheen. People always say something gives that "lit from within" look. Like, I'm sure people would be tempted to say that about Strobe Cream or Hocus Focus because of it's natural glow, but this is on a whole different level of "lit from within." It does not have a single trace of glitter. They've done it, they've perfected the "lit from within" glow. Honestly, after everything else here runs out, this and Fix+ Goldlite may be all I ever buy from here on out.

THIRD: It actually blurs pores and evens skin tone. I don't think that's even in the claims!! It goes ABOVE and BEYOND. Sometimes I use this on its own as a base, other times I mix a little bit of foundation to make the world's most perfect CC cream.

FORTH: The price is amazing.

FIFTH: Great shade range

TLDR: No, just read it. Or just trust me that it's AMAZING IN EVERY WAY.


Ulta Collection Liquid Illuminator (shade Bright Lights) | $10 for 0.6 oz. | 2.0/5.0
This is easily the most meh thing here. I had the shade Northern Lights as well, but really, it stunk so I returned it. I tried to return this one, but because it was part of their BOGO sale, there was literally nothing to get back. This sparks no joy.

For what it is, it's so expensive. JUST BUY THE L'OREAL ONE, please. 
The longevity was nothing to write home about, the texture and effect was average. This is just a very average but overpriced liquid highlighter. Don't get me wrong: it works, it still gets points for highlighting my skin, but that's where it ends. It's just, after using Glotion, this sucks.

TLDR: Meh.


Glossier Balm Dotcom ("shade" Birthday Cake) | $12 for 0.5 oz. | 5.0/5.0
This is fun. This is just a fun product that I really don't know what it does or what it's really for, but it smells absolutely delicious and I'm just out here having a good time with it. I'd love to try the other "flavors" they have to offer in the future. Seriously, the birthday cake scent is so accurate and delicious. 

This has little glitters in it. I tried it on my cheeks for funky lil' glow cheeks on day with a bare face, that was fun. I tried it on my lips as a lil' glossy lip, that was fun, too. It's not long-lasting, but it's not really makeup--it's just a balm. This is very much so for no-makeup days, but a great way to add some sparkle.

I've only really had this one for a few weeks so that's all I can say about it. I love it thus far. If you don't love strong scents this may not be for you.


Youth to the People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Oil | $44 for 1.0 oz | 4.7/5.0 
This is not makeup or a liquid highlighter, but this made the cut because it's such an incredible hydrating oil that this alone leaves me glowy for an extended period of time. So, if you were looking for a glow, but didn't want any makeup, give this a try!

My skin seems to love products with fruits and veggies, (Is it because I starve my body of these nutrients otherwise? Jury is still out on that one, but whatever.) so this oil is great for it. 

I've heard of people mixing it with their foundation for a suuuper glowy foundation combo. I'll report back if I try it! Otherwise, this would likely not mix well with any other product until it sets in your skin a little better. It's a light oil, but a greasier oil (not too greasy that it's a bad product--it's just being super hydrating). Because it's a greasier oil, it takes a little longer to settle in, so that's a drawback for those busy, rushy days.

I use this sometimes in the morning as the second to last step in my skincare routine when I know I have no time for makeup and just have to run out the door. 

I don't mind the price since this is venturing into the skin care world, I'll pay for quality ingredients that my body is absorbing. Also, so little goes such a long way so this will last until it expires (since I imagine that will happen long before I can finish it all, not a complaint, I prefer that that happens rather than I'm always running out and spending $44 on an oil like, every month or something).


________________

NOT PICTURED:
These are not in my collection anymore because either they sucked so much I rid them from my life or they were just so meh (so imagine the same review as the Ulta highlighter). These will not be as in-depth as the previous.

Japonesque Color Pixelated Glow + Radiance Primer | 2.2/5.0 
Honestly, these weren't terrible. 

They were a little bit too glittery and gritty for my taste, but they weren't bad. They're a little too expensive for what they are, though. They're essentially the same thing as the Wet n' Wild MegaGlo Liquid Highlighters from above. Pretty sure they've been discontinued. 

The primer is still around, but again, too expensive for what it is. I have these somewhere in my collection and I don't mind using them up, they're not offensive or anything to use, but they just don't spark joy.


Buxom Divine Goddess Luminizer | $28 for 2.0 oz | 1.0/5.0 
I have never been more disappointed in a highlighter in my life.
I was SO excited to try this because it looked like such a great bang for your buck. First of all, it hardly lasted half the day (I did a wear test one day with half of my face with this and the other half with Glotion) and it was gone by my first bathroom trip at work. 

After comparing it to everything else here that I've tried, why bother? I returned it that day after the wear test (for the record, that was maybe the 3rd wear, so it's not like I used it a bunch and got tired of it, no, I tried it, it sucked, I returned it). It comes in one color. Meh.

So yeah, if you're thinking "Wow, 2.0 oz., what a value!" don't waste your time. Spend it elsewhere. Anywhere else. Don't get me wrong, it functioned as a liquid highlighter, but it was gone by the afternoon. 

________________


DONE
There's definitely some from way back when that I'm forgetting, but this is already too much. Stick around for the powderey version of this one day.

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lipstick challenge: wear it all

Hellooooo again. It has been quite the whirlwind of a summer. Work-work has been so busy, side-work ( hungryheartink.com ) has been crazy ...

Popular Posts