Friday, June 1, 2018

Blue Tansy Products and Comparisons

I made a big mistake. I knew it was a mistake when I was making it. I don't know what the word would be for that, so whatever that is called, I did it.

My superstar husband got me a Sephora gift card for my birthday. I had a wishlist of things I knew I wanted to try, but for some reason, I went completely off-script and added things to my cart that were far out of my league. Things I'd never be able to purchase again just out of principle and of course, price, it's just a bougie/frivolous lifestyle that I am not equipt for just yet.

I knew this was a mistake. I just really, really wanted to try these things. So, here I am, in love with a $72 oil and grasping for anything that might be a "dupe."


I'm here today to talk to you about Herbivore's Lapis Oil and everything Blue Tansy.





I invested in the little Herbivore True Blue gift set (which for the mask alone was a GREAT deal, that mask is going to last a very long time and I'll give it a little honorable mention at the end). The oil was this itty bitty little-sized sample. It lasted about a three weeks (the oil). I suppose with 0.17 oz., that's not a terrible deal (edit: yes it is, don't let bougie Tara convince you it isn't).


I used the oil at night and sometimes even in the morning (if I was having a particularly fucky skin day). The oil had immediate benefits to my skin. It provided so much hydration and moisture while fighting off redness and protecting my healing skin. It immediately made its way into my "SOS" routine (aka the I-dun-fucked-up routine, where I scale back to fewest amount of trusted products for healing)


Herbivore Lapis Oil ingredients:

Amaranthus Squalane Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Capric Triglycerides (Fractionated Coconut Oil), Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Nut Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Tanacetum annuum (Blue Tansy) Leaf Oil, Jasminum Sambac (Jasmine) Absolute, Rosa Damascena (Moroccan Rose) Absolute.

There's a few things about this that I love the most: Kukui Nut Oil, which no other brand has, and the Squalane, which some have but others do not. The ingredients in this make me happy (even though I will always be inherently afraid of anything "coconut" on my face, nothing at all reactive happened so I guess it's all good).


So the next thing on this Blue Tansy adventure was the Acure Blue Tansy oil. It seemed too good to be true. The ingredient list was touted to be the EXACT SAME, but for around $12. Without even a second thought, I figured I'd give it a go and ordered one from Amazon. 


When it arrived, I was v disappointed. Apparently, within the past few months it has been reformulated for the worse...the worst. I swiftly returned this, it's just something I know will not work for me.


Acure Blue Tansy Night Oil ingredients:

Caprlic/capric triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil), prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, argania spinosa (argan) oil, ultramarine blue (C177007), vitis vinifera (grape) seed oil, aleurites moluccanus (kukui nut) seed oil, tanacetum annuum (blue tansy) flower oil, achillea millefolium (yarrow) oil, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower oil, fragrance.


So many questionable things come before the actual superstar ingredients. They added dye and fragrance. Color me annoyed. If I come across the older, original version in Target or somewhere, I'll be buying it. It's literally an exact dupe. Moving on..

The next thing on my adventure was the Pacifica Super Flower Rapid Response Oil. This was a little different. They were never trying to be a dupe, they just also have Blue Tansy. 

Pacifica Super Flower Rapid Response Oil ingredients:

Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tanacetumannuum (Blue Tansy) Leaf Oil, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Argania Spinsosa (Argan) Oil, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Rosa Centifolia Flower (Rose) Extract, Parfum (Natural).

I have a few thoughts about this one: it's good. It's missing some of my superstars (Kukui Nut Oil and Squalane) but has a pretty simple and good ingredient list. It has natural fragrance rather than synthetic. I'm not well versed in the differences, but from a quick Google, it sounded like a better thing to have.

Overall, this one is OK. It's doing the Blue Tansy job, but I wish it was more. It's like that Seinfeld episode where Jerry fights for first class because he's like "if you've never flown first class you won't miss it but I have and I will" (or something like that), well Lapis Oil was first class. Pacifica is a nice leg-roomy window seat in business class, but it's just not the same.





There's one more oil I found on Etsy that has jumped to the top of the next dupe-try list:
VITAL: Blue Tansy Facial Oil Serum from Etsy
I'm a little hesitant. I don't love the idea of the rollerball as the smaller size, but am not ready to commit to the larger sized pump version.

According to the seller, these are the ingredients:
Jojoba Oil, Squalane (olive), Lauryl Olivate, Blue Tansy, Blue Cypress, Rose Absolute, Blue Chamomile, Blue Yarrow, Bergamot, Vitamin E

It's got my squalane and seems pretty simple, but as you can see it's much different than the rest of the products here. The reviews are saying it's a good "dupe" for the Herbivore Lapis Oil, but the ingredients tell a different story. Similar, just not the same. I'll muster up the courage to try it soon.

The other one on my try-list is the Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil. I've yet to drink from the Sunday Riley Kool-Aid, but this looks interesting. It's even more expensive but does even more things


Oh right, the Herbivore Blue Tansy AHA + BHA Resurfacing Clarity Mask. It's only $48 for what looks like a lifetime supply (the product's lifetime, not yours, once you open it the clock is ticking). It has Blue Tansy and all my superstars. I love this and will, without hesitation, repurchase this.

Blue Tansy AHA + BHA Resurfacing Clarity Mask ingredients:
Aloe Barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Leaf Juice, Hydroxyethyl Ethylcellulose (Plant Derived), Glycerin, Glyceryl Caprylate, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Tanacetum Annuum (Blue Tansy) Flower Oil, Jasminum Sambac (Jasmine) Flower Water, Ananas Sativus (Organic Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Organic Papaya) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Organic Papaya) Leaf Extract, Leucidal (Radish Root Ferment).


Have you tried any of these? Tell me about it. 

EDIT | Since this was posted:
Since this was posted, I tracked down the ORIGINAL formula of the Acure Blue Tansy Night Oil in Target. (Spoiler, I bought three.) I've been trying it out for the past week. It doesn't have the same scent as the Herbivore Lapis Oil, which makes me think there is SIGNIFICANTLY less blue tansy in the formulation than Herbivore's. My educated guess: there are the same ingredients, in the same order, but much less and diluted. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'll be testing it out for the next few weeks to make sure it even has an effect. UNTIL THEN, good luck searching for them (especially NJ, since you know, I'm buying them all). Check the ingredients first! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lipstick challenge: wear it all

Hellooooo again. It has been quite the whirlwind of a summer. Work-work has been so busy, side-work ( hungryheartink.com ) has been crazy ...

Popular Posts